Wednesday 16 January 2013

Bell Pepper Baked Eggs

Easy. Quick. Delicious. I'm not much of a breakfast person so when I do take the time to make something, I want it to be simple, fast and worth the effort. Bell pepper baked eggs are definitely all of those things. Pop the egg in the pepper and throw it in the oven for 20 minutes and it's ready. Basically by the time you've had your shower, your breakfast is ready. I know most of you lovely readers won't want to try this on a weekday but I really think it could be incorporated into a morning breakfast routine if you're looking for something healthy and easy. I think this might be the healthiest way I've ever made eggs (I'm terrible at poaching...) since there's no butter or oil involved. I sauteed up a quick kale, garlic and onion mix to go along side but toast would be equally tasty. I cooked my egg all the way through which made it more of a hard boiled consistency so if you'd like a runny egg, start with 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven). It's ready to go as soon as the white sets. My bell pepper was amusingly lopsided so I had to construct a foil lift to keep it steady - you don't want the egg sliding out while cooking!

Preparing to bake

Heading into the oven 
Finished product: bell pepper baked egg and kale saute
Prep time: 3 min
Cook time: 15-20 min
Serves: 2

Ingredients: 

1 bell pepper (any color)
2 large eggs
Salt
Pepper 
Spring onions or herbs to finish (optional)

Method: 

Preheat the oven to 400F / 205C.

Halve and deseed the bell pepper, removing the stem and white ribs to create an open space for the egg. Line a baking tray with foil (in case of spills) and ensure that your pepper halves will stand on their own. Crack an egg into each half and season with salt and pepper. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the white has set and the yolk is at your preferred consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment